Getting Married in the Philippines: Legal Documents
If you are planning to get married soon, here is a quick reference about the legal documents that you would need to prepare to get started.
1. Secure a copy of your birth certificates (NSO authenticated) . Normally, its Php140/copy but sometimes there local taxes around Php 30-50 that needs to be paid (e.g. if you get at the NSO Makati Field Office). You can get this on the same day. Just don't forget to bring a copy of a valid ID. If a representative is requesting a copy for you, an authorization letter together with your ID is needed to claim your birth certificate.
2. Secure a copy of CENOMAR - Certificate of No Marriage from NSO. It is at Php 195/copy. Normally, it is not released on the same day of request so you need to allot enough time for this. It may take 3-4 days for the release of your CENOMAR.
3. Check with your Local Civil Registrar other requirements for application of Marriage License. You can opt to process the marriage from your local LCR or your fiance's if you reside in different cities.
Some of the requirements to apply for a Marriage License:
a.) Marriage License Application Form - Php 20.00 (get it from the Marriage Section of LCR)
b.) Original and photocopy of CEDULA - both parties
c.) Original and photocopy of Birth Certificate (NSO authenticated) - both parties
d.) Original and photocopy of CENOMAR - both parties
e.) 1x1 ID pictures - both parties
f.) Personal Appearance of the couple
g.) Pre-Marriage Counselling/ Family Planning Certificate - must attend the seminar, check with LCR for schedule. It should be free but some request for donation.
Upon submission of requirements, it would take 10 working days for its release.
4. Once you have your marriage license available, Check with the OCC - Office of Clerk of Court if you decide to be wed by a judge. Processing fee is Php 330.00. After getting the assigned judge for your proceeding, simply proceed to the judge's office to make arrangements.
5. If you opt for a Church, liaise with the Church for other requirements and next step procedures.